Pages

Wednesday 23 September 2015

Meditation #1

A few years ago I picked up a book called "The Best Guide to Meditation" written by Victor N. Davich.  It is a really interesting book on how to meditate.  The point of the book is to work through it step by step learning along the way to make meditation apart of your daily life.

I have tried a couple of times over the course of the last couple of years to make it a part of a daily practice but it has never really worked out for me.  So this time around I'm going to try something different.  I'm going to attempt (Do or Do not, there is no try) to blog about my progress and my experiences on a regular basis.

The first mediation in the book was about recalling a time in your life when you were living in the moment. A time when you weren't worried about what had happened in the past or what was going to be happening in the future.  All in all I didn't have a lot of moments like this that came to mind,  I am often a person whose head is thinking about tomorrow or is reliving a moment from his past thinking about how he could have handled a situation differently and playing out what ifs in my head.

Here are a quick run down of the 3 moments that came clearly to mind, there were other moments but I couldn't hold on to any of them long enough to get a feel for what they were.  Also the exercise wasn't about holding on to the memories it was about letting them flow in and out of your mind.

  • My granddaughters first steps, I was laying on the floor playing with her and helping her walk around when she took a few steps on her own.  In fact she was holding my phone at the time and it was recording video.  It is a file I will always treasure.
  • Driving in the car with tamile while we were on our little house road trip.  It wasn't clear to me where we were driving or anything along those
  • I was swimming I think at West Hawk Lake the time I went there with my eldest daughter and tamile.   
Over all I came out of the exercise feeling pretty good about it and about myself.  We will see how it goes this time around.

No comments: